Wednesday, September 3, 2008

More Than a Grasshopper

Numbers 13:33 We even saw giants there, the descendants of Anak. Next to them we felt like grasshoppers, and that’s what they thought, too!”

How small do you feel this morning? There are times when I wake up and feel like I am incredibly strong...filled with the power of the Holy Spirit...like I can take on the world! Unfortunately, there are many mornings when I feel exactly the opposite: powerless, weak, puny, and small. It seems like these are the days when the giants in my life grow about 3 inches. I get smaller...and they get larger. Have you felt this way? Feel like a grasshopper in a land of giants? Here are some of the verses that I turn to when I am feeling small and beatable:

John 16:33

"I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world.”


Psalm 139:7-10
"I can never escape from your Spirit!
I can never get away from your presence!
If I go up to heaven, you are there;
if I go down to the grave, you are there.
If I ride the wings of the morning,
if I dwell by the farthest oceans,
even there your hand will guide me,
and your strength will support me."

2 Corinthians 12:9
"Each time he said, “My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.” So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me."

Psalm 37:23-24
"The Lord directs the steps of the godly.
He delights in every detail of their lives.
Though they stumble, they will never fall,
for the Lord holds them by the hand."

Ephesians 3:20
" Now all glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think."

Revelation 19:6
"Then I heard again what sounded like the shout of a vast crowd or the roar of mighty ocean waves or the crash of loud thunder:

'Praise the Lord!
For the Lord our God,the Almighty, reigns.'"


God reigns indeed. Nothing has changed with Him. He has overcome the world...He has healed the sick...raised the dead...heard every prayer you've ever whispered...

He loves you so much that He has given you a purpose and the gifts to accomplish it. You are indeed valuable...and through God's strength you are a giant-killer.

See you in the morning,
Pastor Brian

No comments: