Thursday, August 28, 2008

The D Word

2 Tim 1:7 "For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline."

How many of us like the term "discipline." I don't. I guess it stems back from when I was a kid. That word implies structure...rules...barriers... It tells me that I am going to be forced to do something that I don't necessarily want to do even when I know that it is good for me. Then I looked at today's verse...it doesn't just say "discipline" it says "self-discipline." It's on me. I have to be the initiator of a daily dose of self-inflicted reality. I am going to have to push myself harder than I feel comfortable doing. It's means I have to get rid of what I want to do all of the time and focus on what God wants me to do with my life...

Exactly.

But that is not the natural bend of the flesh. Deep down we know what we need to do but find it far easier to do what we want to do. I know that I need to love others, take care of my body, speak kind words all of the time, give of what I have, and memorize and study the scriptures often. But sometimes I struggle with doing it.

This morning, I asked myself this question...maybe it will help you focus in on this... "When was the last time I denied myself something because God wanted me to do something else."

I find that I don't do this as often as I should. How about you? Could you make a list of 5 things that you have changed about you and your life because you were dedicated to self-discipline? It's a tough question to ask yourself. The apostle Paul in the Bible says that he had to commit every day to self-discipline...every day!

Some days for me, it's an hourly re-commitment. Some days I can get by disciplining myself to the ways of God much easier. But here's what I do know...I can't go the the land of "sold-out" for God without being willing to change what I was doing in the land of "hold-out". God's got so much for us and He wants to give it to us...we just have to be willing to follow the map laid out in today's scripture verse... realize God's power, love others, and practice self-discipline.

It's just like going to the gym...you may not notice the results right away...but they are there. It just takes persistence and dedication to becoming the person that God created you to be.

See you tomorrow for prayer day,
Pastor Brian

No comments: